Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day 88: Freezer Paper Stencil Tutorial (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

I've wanted to try freezer paper stencils on t-shirts for a long time, but haven't had a reason to make anything.  Well, my reason presented itself -- my son is recently obsessed with all things Angry Birds.  The app, toys, apparel, coloring books, building game with blocks / sling shot / miniature pigs & birds -- you name it, he wants it.  He has one Angry Birds sweatshirt and has been begging for something else to wear, but I don't want to spend tons of money on Angry Birds clothing.  Enter, freezer paper stenciling.

I bought a $3.99 youth t-shirt, X-acto knife, and a fabric paint pen at Michaels; borrowed freezer paper from a friend; and printed off a free Red Angry Birds Jack-o-Lantern stencil online.  Easy and cheap!

1. I washed / dried the t-shirt, traced the stencil onto freezer paper (with the shiny side of the freezer paper down), and carefully cut out the stencil with the X-acto knife.

 2. I then ironed the freezer paper onto the t-shirt (using a high heat setting), with the shiny side of the freezer paper down. Make sure to iron around all edges of the stencil so that a seal is created for your stenciled image.
3. I used a black, permanent Tulip Fabric Paint Marker to cover the stencil, and let it dry for 24 hours (the recommendation on the paint marker).
Peel off the freezer paper and it's done!
I have a very happy son, and will definitely be doing this again -- perhaps soon with a green shirt and a "bad piggies" stencil?!

Verdict: SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment