Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day 128: Freezing Cupcakes (works -- but a fail).

Pinterest pin and website link.

I typically bake cupcakes days / weeks in advance of when I need them and freeze them to keep; I then frost them while frozen.  I decided to try a new method of freezing cupcakes versus my typical way (throwing baked, cooled cupcakes into a Ziploc bag).  In the end, it was much more work, and didn't seem to make much -- if any -- difference in the final taste or texture.  Below, you can see that I froze some cupcakes in my traditional way, and then more cupcakes in the new way with saran wrap + foil + Ziploc bag.
Instructions:
Step 1: After baking the cupcakes, let them cool a bit; once they are cool, they can be wrapped. Lay large pieces of saran wrap in an X and then place 12 cupcakes in the center. Fold in one side and then the other, creating a nice seal.


Step 2: Lay out a long piece of foil and place cupcakes in center. Wrap foil around and fold sides in.
Step 3: Slip into a gallon Ziploc, and label with date and flavor.
The true test was when I ate these -- I was worried about my "traditional" packaging, as these cupcakes looked like they had a little freezer burn...

...and the ones with the new packaging weren't iced over at all.
However, I frosted both (while frozen), let them defrost, and then taste-tested, and they tasted exactly the same.  My vote?  It's not worth the extra effort + materials to use saran wrap and foil. 

Verdict: FAIL

No comments:

Post a Comment