Friday, May 16, 2014

Day 136: Baked Funfetti Donuts (fail).

Pinterest pin and website link.

These were all-around bad :(  Super sugary, too many sprinkles, horrible-tasting glaze.  Just trust me on this one -- don't waste your time.  I'd suggest hitting up Krispy Kreme instead.

I did like the blog author's idea of piping the batter into the donut pan.  
After mixing up the batter (it will be thick), spoon it into a Ziploc bag, snip off a side at the bottom of the bag, and slowly pipe the batter into the pan.  Voila!
Baked, but not yet glazed.  Too many sprinkles!
Glazed -- and the ones on the far left were achieved by following her instructions exactly.  Once I tasted the glaze (too much powdered sugar taste, in my opinion!), I just "dripped" some on the top instead of covering the entire donut.  Neither tasted very good!
Verdict: FAIL.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! Total disaster :-( after reading the positive reviews from the actual recipe website I thought sure I'll give these a try, I mean what could go wrong? Well everything. Those darn jimmies bled color everywhere so it was more of a rainbow bright doughnut than a funfetti one. We tasted the doughnuts without the glaze and they are completely flavorless, seems like the glaze would make them perfectly sweet. Well I was wrong. Even just glazing the doughnuts once with the glaze was more than enough. 1) glazing the doughnuts with the warm glaze it took quite a while to set up as in a couple hours. 2) the glaze actually made the doughnuts too sweet, like my teeth hurt sweet. 1/2 cup of jimmies is way too much. In the photo on her blog it does not look like she used the same recipe because it appears that she must have used only half the amount of jimmies. Overall these were so disappointing. Now back to the Pinterest board...

    ReplyDelete