Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 57: Cleaning Grout with Foam Carpet Cleaner (fail).

Pinterest pin and website link.
I thought this pin sounded a little too easy to really work, and unfortunately, I was right :(  Despite using many different cleaners on these floors over the past few years, it's always bugged me that I couldn't get the floor grout to match the grout surrounding the tub (see the difference between the white grout around the tub and the floor grout that has turned gray?).  I bought the Woolite carpet cleaner featured on the website, sprayed it on the grout lines and left it alone for five minutes, and then used a bristle brush to brush / scrape clean.
Dirty grout.
Sprayed with foam carpet cleaner.
"Clean" grout.
Verdict: fail.  Although I do feel like a few spots on the floor grout were eliminated with the Woolite product, there wasn't a noticeable difference with the color of the grout to make this pin a success.  To me, there is still a big difference in color from the floor grout to the grout surrounding the tub.

7 comments:

  1. Have you tried oxyclean on your grout?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! What do you do? Mix it into a paste and spread it on??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to remember. I did it when we first moved in. Basically I think I just mixed some in a bucket with a Cinderella scrub brush and let it sit there heavily wet for at least 30 minutes. It was amazing. Another thing to try would be soft scrub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks much cleaner to me. I guess I don't see how it's a fail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried DIY alternatives such as oxygen bleach, chlorine or baking soda? If none of them work, you could also try to rent a steam cleaner for a more intensive cleaning process. I do have a question: are you sure that the grout used for the floor tiles are the same for the tub tiles? Sometimes they use different types for those, since the tub wall tiles need to be more adhesive since they're vertical, as compared to the floor tiles. But that's just my assumption.

    Sheryl Patton @ Xtreme Clean

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have also used the product.I particularly loved it because it was not corrosive to my tiles since it has a moderate ph system.to add on the fact that it’s fast in its cleaning it also does not leave that chemical smell left by regular cleaners. Its efficient.my boyfriend noticed the change in the bathroom

    Blanca Douglas @ Safeclean Ealing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heated mine in a big pot on the stove and in the kettle. But be very careful not to burn yourself, and don't attempt this while your little ones are around! cphservices.com.au

    ReplyDelete