Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 111: Taco Tator Tot Bake (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

This wasn't the healthiest meal to make my family -- and I was hoping that I would report back that I didn't really like it because of that reason.  However, that would be a lie.  My husband and I loved it; our kids, on the other hand, tried a taste and spit it out.  Hey, at least they didn't consume a bunch of tator tots, cheese and ground beef.  I mean, seriously -- what is wrong with them?!  What is there not to love about those ingredients mixed together?

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced (I used onion spice, as I didn't have an actual onion)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 package of taco seasoning (1/4 cup of my large taco seasoning container)
1 (16 oz) bag frozen corn (I used a can of corn instead)
1 (4 oz) can green chiles, diced / drained (I didn't have this ingredient, but used spicy beans below)
1 (12 oz) can black beans, drained (I had a can of hot chili beans, which I used instead and didn't drain)
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
1 (16 oz) package frozen tator tots (half my large bag)
1 (10.5 oz) can red enchilada sauce
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. 

Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Add in ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. 

Add in taco seasoning, corn, green chiles, and beans. Cook until heated through. 

In a large bowl, combine the meat mixture, 1 cup cheese and tater tots. Mix until combined.

Pour about 1/3 of the enchilada sauce on bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Add in tater tot & meat mixture and smooth out in the pan. Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top.  

Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. During the last few minutes, sprinkle remaining cheese on top of dish and cook until melted. Serve warm.
And yes, I am weird and I ate this with a coffee for dinner, and it actually wasn't a bad combo!

Verdict: SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment