Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 93: Using Vinegar and an Iron to Clean Stubborn Carpet Stains (fail).

Pinterest pin and website link.

Despite having a "no shoes in the house" rule, we tend to get large stains on our carpeted stairway.  I've been neglecting these stains for awhile, but after vacuuming this morning, snapped a quick picture of the largest stain:
The original pin said to mix 1 part white vinegar with 2 parts water in a spray bottle; I put 1/3 cup of white vinegar and 2/3 cup of water into my spray bottle and shook it up.  I sprayed the spot (and the surrounding area that has smaller spots) until saturated; put a damp, white rag over the area; and ironed on the steam setting (the highest setting on my iron) for 30 seconds.  There was no change to the spot.  I repeated the steps two additional times, and by the end, the main and surrounding spots seemed to be more visible than before I used the solution!
Verdict: FAIL.  Instead, I pulled out my Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover, sprayed the spots and vigorously scrubbed the carpet fibers with an old toothbrush.  This stuff works wonders -- there are no more stains!

No comments:

Post a Comment