Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Day 119: Homemade Au Jus without Pan Drippings (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

Whenever we go out to eat, I always order a french dip sandwich if it is on the menu -- but I rarely think to make them at home because my favorite part is the au jus, and I don't like to use / make sauces from a package.  This homemade au jus was excellent, and super easy to make without pan drippings; to make it into a meal, I just put some roast beef lunchmeat and cheese inside a sourdough roll, wrapped them in tinfoil, and threw them in the oven at 350 degrees while I waited for the au jus to finish.

Ingredients:
Olive oil (enough to saute onions)
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced (I used jarred)
1/8 cup white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2-1/2 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon flour
Instructions:
  • Caramelize the onions in the olive oil.  Add garlic and cook for 1-2 additional minutes.
  • Pour the chilled white wine and Worcestershire sauce into the pan, and cook for 1 minute.
  • Add beef broth and bring to a light boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
  • Strain broth, throw out onions / garlic, and return broth to pot.  
  • Add flour and simmer 5 more minutes.

This made just enough au jus for my husband to have two sandwiches and me to have one.  I will double or triple the recipe next time, and freeze the leftovers for easy dinners in the future!

Verdict: SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment