Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 91: Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

Happy April Fool's Day!  My husband had a company potluck today and asked me to make an April Fool's Day-themed dessert.  I've been wanting an excuse to try making cupcakes inside an ice cream cone, and this was the perfect opportunity -- and he told me they went over really well!

Ingredients / Materials Needed:
24 flat-bottom ice cream cones
Miniature muffin tin
Funfetti (or flavor of your choice) cake mix
Frosting & powdered sugar (explained below)
Piping bag / container and "star" tip
Large, sturdy box

Instructions:
Fill cones halfway (mine were a little full).
Bake in the oven as directed on the cake box for cupcakes (mine specified to bake at 350 degrees for 19-22 minutes).
Let cool, frost and enjoy!  My friend gave me a tip on frosting these like ice cream cones -- I put an entire jar of Betty Crocker's butter cream frosting into my KitchenAid mixer, and added 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.  I then mixed the two ingredients together, which stiffened the frosting enough to hold the ice cream shape.  Using a piping bag and a star tip, I started on the edge of the cupcake, and swirled around and in toward the center, using steady pressure.   
Finally, my husband needed a way to transport these to work, so we used an empty "Our Generation" doll box from Target and cut squares in the back to put the completed ice cream cone cupcakes in.  I hope he brings it home so that I can make / transport more of these!
Verdict: SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment