Friday, April 25, 2014

Day 115: Browning Ground Beef in a Crock-Pot (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

I've never thought to brown my ground beef (or turkey / chicken) in the Crock-Pot, but I did it today and it worked great.  I thought the end taste with slow cooking was better than when I brown it on the stove; however, I don't think it saved me any time/energy since I needed to be home to stir the meat every hour or so.  I only browned 2 pounds of ground beef this time, but would use this method again when needing to brown a bunch of meat at a time (4+ pounds) since I don't have a pan big enough to do that on the stove!

Instructions: 
Put the raw meat in the Crock-Pot (I used a liner, but realized halfway through that with stirring the meat every hour, it was easier not to use one for this recipe), mash it a little to separate, cover, and cook on high for 4+ hours (mine took 5-1/2 to brown to my liking).  Stir every hour.
Done (at this point, I'd already taken half of the meat out to use in our dinner).
I used some in our dinner tonight, and then placed the rest in two freezer bags to freeze for upcoming meals.  Easy!

Verdict: SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment