Friday, April 4, 2014

Day 94: Kool-Aid Lip Gloss (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

I always lose my chapstick / lip gloss, so I thought this would be a good pin to try -- if it worked, I could make a bunch and put them in various areas in my house, car, purse, bags, etc. 

Ingredients:
Vaseline (I used the generic kind below, and the Kool-Aid crystals melted / combined with the petroleum jelly as intended, something that didn't happen with many readers of the original pin.  It sounds like the trick is to NOT mix in the Kool-Aid crystals until the petroleum jelly has had a chance to cool to a lukewarm temperature.)

Unsweetened, caffeine-free Kool-Aid drink crystals.

Lip gloss containers.
Instructions:
1. Put petroleum jelly in a microwave-safe bowl (I didn't measure the jelly, but just scooped out a spoonful and did a few batches).
2. Heat the Vaseline in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each heating.  Since I was doing a small amount at a time, it took me 2-3 minutes to melt each batch of Vaseline.  It will be liquid when fully melted and is very hot!
3. Take out of the microwave, let sit until lukewarm, and then stir in Kool-Aid drink crystals until desired color / flavor is reached.  Stir until the crystals are completely dissolved.
4. Pour into lip gloss containers and leave for a few hours to solidify.
These turned out just as described, however, I've decided I don't love the taste of Vaseline or Kool-Aid :(  Luckily, there were LOTS of comments / ideas on the original blogger's site.  First, I tried mixing honey and Emergen-C crystals with Vaseline, but could still taste the distinct petroleum jelly taste.  Then, I tried coconut oil mixed with Kool-Aid crystals, but the crystals never dissolved despite multiple attempts at heating, re-heating, stirring, etc. 
Finally, I tried Aquafor mixed with Agave Nectar.  This was my favorite attempt (I use Aquafor all the time as chapstick), but I need to do a few more attempts to hopefully figure out how to get the two ingredients to mix a little better than they did -- the agave sunk to the bottom when the mixture solidified.
Overall, the pin came together as described and I would recommend trying petroleum jelly and Kool-Aid first to see if you like the taste -- these two ingredients combined together the best out of all my options tried!

Verdict: SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment