Friday, January 24, 2014

Day 24: Packing Kids' Clothes for Travel (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

The kids are staying overnight at their grandparents' house, and I thought I would try this packing tip for their clothes; my daughter is very opinionated about what she's wearing these days, and I didn't want my mom to have to deal with her tantrums on the topic!
Below, I've made my pros / cons list about packing this way for travel with kids:
Pros:
* No travel clothing battles -- I let me daughter help me pick out her outfits to pack while at home and then she had no issues with getting dressed each day.
* Matching / complementing clothes are easily found together.  While traveling, I typically spend quite a bit of time searching through duffel bags to find coordinated clothing and accessories for the kids.
* It was easier for me to see what I'd forgotten to pack, as each bag contained an entire set of clothing or PJs, with complementing items.
* I always seem to need bags while on vacation, and never have enough.  By packing this way, I  would have extra bags that I can throw used diapers in and seal them in the hotel room, pack up dirty laundry, line a trash can, pack snacks, etc.

Cons:
* Bags take up more room in the suitcase / laundry basket / box, etc. than just throwing clothes in does.  I can squish A LOT of clothing items into this one laundry basket without bags!
* Unless your kids are really small (under 4T?), fitting a full set of clothing, underwear and accessories into a gallon-size bag is tough.
* It seems a bit wasteful to use all those gallon bags just for packing.

Verdict: overall a success, particularly while my kids are still small!

No comments:

Post a Comment