Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day 7: DIY Homemade Finger Paints on Canvas (success)

Pinterest pin and website link.

For Valentine's Day last year, the kids did canvas finger paintings for their dad.  Since I was short on time {reading between the lines -- started these projects on Valentine's Day!}, I didn't make the finger paints at home, but instead, used the Melissa & Doug brand.  The canvases turned out great, the finger paints were easy to use and Dad loved his present!
However, I've been meaning to go back and make the homemade finger paint recipe to see if it works as well as the store-bought brands.


Our homemade finger paints.
Midway through the project.
 End result!
Verdict: I actually think this was only a partial success.  This is a personal preference, but I like the brighter paint colors of the Melissa & Doug brand.  However, the homemade version was as easy to use as the store-bought variety, was easy to make and with ingredients we already had in the kitchen, and the kids had fun!  The other reason I'm listing it only a partial success is that I used Scotch blue painter's tape, instead of the green FrogTape brand, in this trial.  The letter lines were just not as clear as the versions we made last year for Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment