Friday, January 31, 2014

Day 31: Hidden Heart Cake (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

I recently purchased about a dozen cake mixes on sale, and decided I needed to start baking today -- and I love how this heart cake turned out!  I followed the website instructions exactly, and think this would be a perfect Valentine's Day dessert!


Cake Ingredients:
2 boxes Pound Cake mix
1/2 cup Butter softened
4 Eggs
1-1/3 cup Milk
Red food coloring


Glaze Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar2 tbsp Milk

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 and spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
  • Prepare your first pound cake following box directions. Add food coloring to get a good pink color in batter.
  • Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, which is about 10 less than box directions (I actually used two smaller pans, so I cooked mine for about 33 minutes.  Part of my cakes were a little undercooked, so the next time I make this, I'm going to cook it for the full amount stated on the box).
  • Let cool on rack for an hour.
  • Remove cake from pan and refrigerate for several hours.
  • Slice cold cake into slices no thicker than your cookie cutter.
  • Use cookie cutter to cut heart shapes from each and stack to side.
  • Prepare the other box of pound cake mix following box directions.
  • Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
  • Pour 1/4″ of batter in the bottom.
  • Place your heart cut-outs down the middle, keeping them straight and together.
  • Pour remaining batter over the heart cut-outs in the pan. Ensure it gets down the sides and covers the top (There will be a lot of batter left -- unless you make this in two smaller cake pans like I did, and then there won't be much at all leftover).
  • Bake according to box directions.
  • Let cool on rack for an hour.
  • Remove from pan and place on platter.
  • In a medium bowl, put powdered sugar and slowly add milk until desired consistency is reached.
  • Drizzle icing over cake and serve.
Verdict: This is a little time consuming, but well worth it for the cuteness factor!  Plus, I'm going to try this with the modifications for making a boxed cake taste like a bakery cake the next time I do it, and I know it will taste so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment