Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day 19: Make a Boxed Cake Taste Like a Bakery Cake (success).

Pinterest pin and website link.

I don't think I'll ever make just a boxed cake again -- these changes made a regular white cake mix taste so much better!  Everyone who tried these cupcakes was impressed!

Ingredients:
A traditional box cake, plus...
...add one more egg.
...use melted butter instead of oil, and double the amount.
...use milk instead of water.
...add 2 teaspoons of vanilla.

Fill cups 3/4 full.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, but reduce to 325 degrees if baking cupcakes.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Pre-frosting.
 Deliciously moist!
A few notes from me --
* this made a ton of cupcakes.  One box (that would normally yield 18-20 cupcakes) made 30+!
* I filled many of mine higher than the 2/3 recommendation, and  I would not recommend that!  These don't "puff up" as much as the traditional boxed mix, so the ones that I overfilled just sort of "draped" onto the cupcake pan and weren't as presentable even when frosted.
* I used an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcakes.  This worked great, but I'll just make sure that the scoop isn't overflowing next time so that the cupcakes are only 2/3 filled prior to baking.

Verdict: success!

1 comment: