Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 5: Vinegar & Water Soak for Fruit (success).

Pinterest pin (scroll to the description below the photo).

As I mentioned previously, we do most of our shopping at Costco.  Although I love the prices and huge quantities {which equals fewer trips to the grocery store for this Mama}, I don't like throwing away wasted food.  My kids love fresh berries, and over the summer, I noticed that our berries were rotting before we could eat them all.  I saw this vinegar and water soak on Pinterest, and decided to give it a try.  I have a large bowl that holds three cups of water and 1 cup of vinegar {or eyeball 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar}, plus the berries purchased at Costco.  I let them soak for about 5 minutes and then pour the berries into a colander to rinse with water.  You'll be amazed at the dirt that comes off the berries -- and how much longer they last in the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment