Sunday, January 26, 2014

Day 26: Spray Painting Tips (success).

Pinterest pin, website link and tutorial video.

I have a love-hate relationship with spray paint.  I love how easy it seems like it should be, but I typically rush through it and my final product looks something like this.  Which I hate.
I'm working on a gallery wall for our playroom and wanted to add the first letters of my kids' names, but didn't want to spend a ton of money.  I bought letters to spray paint at Michael's and quickly set to work.  As you can imagine, it didn't go well, particularly for the N (see the long scratch and the paint drips).  I also decided that I didn't like the shiny, silver color in the playroom.
I searched Pinterest for spray painting tips and came upon the above link, and love that she includes a video.  I have always felt like spray painting should be quick and easy, yet I'm fairly disappointed with the end result each time I do it -- the tips on the site and video were really helpful.  I worked in a well-ventilated area; wore a mask; used Rust-oleum's Comfort Grip; shook the can for 30+ seconds; used sandpaper prior to painting, practiced in a non-conspicuous area (on the back of the letters!); did multiple coats; and sprayed in a steady, always-moving manner.
 And I love the end result!  Can't wait to hang these on the playroom wall!
Verdict: success!

No comments:

Post a Comment