Sunday, March 2, 2014

Day 61: DIY Oxy-Clean to Whiten Clothing (fail).

Pinterest pin and website link.

If I accomplish nothing else by testing a pin a day this year, I am determined to find a way to easily whiten my dingy whites!  This is what I mean by dingy -- check out my shirt (on the right) pictured next to my husband's new, crisp, white t-shirt (on the left).  Yikes!
Per the website instructions, I mixed 1 part baking soda with 3 parts hydrogen peroxide in a pan over medium-high heat.  In my case, this was 1 cup baking soda to 3 cups hydrogen peroxide.
I boiled my shirt in this mixture, stirring often to prevent the bubbles from boiling over.  It said to continue stirring until the fabric is white, but the liquid boiled away before that happened.  As you can see, my shirt ended up with a pinkish hue.
After running it through a normal cycle in my washing machine, the shirt was noticeably whiter -- but also still had that pinkish color to it, and the pit stains were still prevalent.
Verdict: fail.  I'm still on the hunt for a way to whiten my whites without bleach!

No comments:

Post a Comment