Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 70: Best / Worst Buys at the Dollar Tree (success).

Pinterest pin and website links here, here, here, here, here, and here (wish these links had been combined into one long post, but still worth the time to peruse all!).

This has been, by far, my favorite post to do!  I've decided that buying things for a $1 makes me happy.  Which is probably why I desperately needed to do the "40 Bags in 40 Days" cleanse during Lent.  But that's a whole other issue...

I was recently at a Dollar Tree, and picked up a sampling of things we "needed" that the blog author had mentioned were dollar store successes.  It was great to have a second opinion on what to buy, and after using the products below, I've detailed what was a success or fail for our family, plus how much a comparable item at Amazon costs (item costs may have changed since I did this post).
Reviews:
Elmer's Washable School Glue Pens: I've never used these before, but they were perfect for little hands doing art projects.  Amazon was selling them for $2 + shipping for one pen.  SUCCESS!

Variety of coloring / activity books: my kids have been occupied for two straight days with $1 coloring books (Angry Birds, Hello Kitty, Sesame Street, etc.).  Something similar seems to run about $3 on Amazon.  SUCCESS!

Breck Kids 2-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner: Smells really nice (we got the apple and coconut flavors) and the kids' hair seems less crazy after using it!  Sold on Amazon for $4.95.  SUCCESS!

Breck Kids Spray-On Detangler: This really helped smooth down my daughter's crazy hair!  Sold on Amazon for $8.95.  SUCCESS!

Scotch tape: worked just like regular tape -- because it is!  The closest I could find on Amazon was a 3-pack of "magic" Scotch tape for $4.  SUCCESS!

Blue / red baskets: I've always bought baskets at the Dollar Tree, and have loved them!  One of my kids is a slight hoarder, and likes to load baskets up with "treasures" and carry them around the house!  It was difficult to find a comparable cheap, plastic basket on Amazon, but this looked close for $15.  SUCCESS!

Shultz pretzels.  I wasn't expecting these to be good, but my kids devoured them!  I found them on Amazon for $14 + $9 tax (!) for a larger bag.  Way cheaper to go with the $1 version!  SUCCESS!

Plastic straws: We tried three from this bag, and all had holes in them and were unusable; these went straight in the garbage. On Amazon, you could buy 360 for around $6 -- if we need straws, I'll go that route.  FAIL.

Quick Eraser (Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser knock-off): These weren't horrible, but I used them alongside a real Magic Eraser and noticed a difference -- the Magic Eraser brand held up better and got off more marks.  I'd buy the real thing -- on Amazon, they were about $8 + shipping for 8 erasers.  FAIL.

Verdict: mostly SUCCESSES!

No comments:

Post a Comment