Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 77: More Best / Worst Dollar Store Buys (success).

Pinterest pin and website links hereherehereherehere, and here.

I had such a fun time with my first Dollar Tree post that I had to go back to the store to try a few more of her tips!  Like last time, I did a cost comparison on Amazon, although prices may have changed.
Reviews:
Glitter Glue: I've bought cheap glitter glue in the past, and it's been hard to work with -- typically, they're difficult for little hands to squeeze, I've had to cut off part of the top to get the glue flowing, they're messy, etc.  However, this pack includes 10 tubes that are easy to squeeze, and my kids loved them.  On Amazon, the closest thing I could find was a pack of 9 for $4.  SUCCESS!

Gift bags: I wasn't all that impressed with the selection of gift bags at the Dollar Tree, but the one I purchased was made of a sturdy cardboard that could hold multiple items.  On Amazon, a similar bag cost around $4.  I typically just re-use bags I've been given (is that okay to admit?!), but I would buy a Dollar Tree one again, if needed!  SUCCESS!

Tissue paper: Again, it was time-consuming to wade through the tissue paper packs (no plain white, which would have been ideal!), but it is good quality tissue paper.  On Amazon, the price for a similar 25-sheet pack was about the same price at $1.08.  SUCCESS -- but could buy this online if you're not heading to the Dollar Tree.

Shower curtain liner: A friend warned me about purchasing this, but I took the plunge anyway.  This was made of very cheap plastic and smelled toxic.  I'd spend the $5 on a different one through Amazon.  FAIL. 

Bubbles: these weren't actually the ones pictured by the original author, but they were the only large bubbles they had in stock.  My son quickly lost interest in these because they didn't blow many (if any) bubbles each time he tried.  For me, it's worth it to spend a little extra money through Amazon to get ones that really work well; I may also try a homemade recipe for bubbles this summer.  FAIL.

I also picked up a few additional things that I've loved in my past Dollar Tree visits to include in this post.  These are all successes in my book!
Reviews:
Water squirters: We've had these the last few summers, and my kids love them -- like, spend hours watering the plants while I can sit with a drink in hand.  We've not had any issues with them, however when my kids were using them yesterday, they did break 3 of the 4 we had in the backyard.  I'm not sure if that's just part of the risk when buying these for $1 each, or if storing them outside during the long winter months made the plastic brittle and easily breakable.  I'd still recommend them despite our issues yesterday!

Water bottles: I'm always mixing up some cleaning concoction, and these work just as well -- if not better -- than the ones I've purchased at Home Depot or Target for upwards of $5.

Tissues: these are the softest tissues I've found for $1!

Verdict: mostly SUCCESSES!

No comments:

Post a Comment